Your Support System – In pregnancy sometimes we feel alone, as if no one understands what we are going through. Here are some ideas that can help:
- Ask your partner or family member to come with you to at least on of your doctor visits.
- Bring your partner/ family member to ultrasound visits
- Let your partner feel the baby move
- Have your partner/ family member be your coach in labor
- Share information and exercises with your partner and family members
- Exchange back rubs, with attention to your lower back
- Go for walks with friends, family or your partner
- Be sensitive to your partner’s feelings
- Choose quiet times to express your feelings
- Do things together to nurture your relationship
Diminishing Stress Through Relaxation Breathing
- Take a slow deep breath counting to four as you inhale. Your belly will expand similar to blowing up a balloon.
- Exhale through your mouth with a sigh or say “ahh” as the air leaves you. Let the stress leave your body
- Concentrate on letting your whole body relax
- Practice relaxation breathing
Getting comfortable: Your growing belly may affect your sleeping positions
- Try lying on your side (also helps blood flow to your baby)
- Try placing a pillow between your legs while hugging a pillow for more support
- Try a “body pillow” for extra support while you’re lying down
Use your support system and focused relaxation tools to help you feel better in pregnancy, both physically and mentally.