In pregnancy, sometimes we feel alone as if no one understands what we are going through. Here are some ideas that can help.
Your support system
- Ask your partner or family member to come with you to at least one of your doctor visits
- Bring your partner/ family member to ultrasound visits
- Let your partner feel the baby move
- Have your partner/ family member be your coach in labor
- Share information and exercises with your partner and family members
- Exchange back rubs, with attention to your lower back
- Go for walks with friends, family, or your partner
- Be sensitive to your partner’s feelings
- Choose quiet times to express your feelings
- Do things together to nurture your relationship
- Relaxation breathing: take a slow deep breath counting to 4 as you breathe in. Your belly will expand like a balloon.
- Exhale through your mouth with a sigh or say “ahh” as the air leaves. Let the stress leave your body.
- Concentrate on letting your whole body relax
- Practice relaxation breathing
- Your growing belly may affect your sleeping positions
- Try lying on your side (this also helps with blood flow to the baby)
- Try placing a pillow between your legs while hugging a pillow for more support
- Try a body pillow for extra support while you are lying down
If you’re pregnant and would like to attend classes to prepare for birth and parenting OR if you’d like a home visit to discuss your pregnancy, birth and baby, please call us at United Way of Santa Fe County. We’re here to help! 505-819-5483 All services are free.